A Short History

From: WEST END KEY – to – LYFORD KEY – to – LYFORD CAY

During the 1700’s, there was a small cay off the northwest tip of New Providence Island, called West End Cay, (later Lyford Key) named after William Lyford, Jr., who in 1788 was granted 448 acres by King George III in return for his unwavering support as a Loyalist. The allotted land grant included the cay and additional acreage across the channel on the mainland. Over time, the channel separating the cay from the mainland filled and became part of New Providence Island. Both portions of the allotted land grant would become a portion of what we now know as Lyford Cay.

Source:

The late novelist Arthur Hailey, who was resident of Lyford Cay for over 30 years and active member of the POA Board as a Director and Director Emeritus, researched and wrote "The Lyford Legacy A History of Lyford Cay From 1788".